- Client: Episource LLC
- Duration: June 2021 – Sept. 2021
- DIA Design Guild audited Episource’s products surrounding healthcare claims and encounters.
UX Strategist, User Researcher
- Conducted stakeholder interviews, synthesized findings, and generated possible solutions.
Episource is a data analytics company helping health plans submit claims and encounter data to government agencies.
The problem: What is the current state of Episource’s products and how can they be improved?
They needed usability recommendations for their product platform.
To conduct an in-depth assessment of Episource’s products we outlined phases with key activities:
- Identify. Start kickoff workshop, conduct group stakeholder interviews, present project charter.
- Assess. Continue group interviews, work sessions, perform competitive analysis, conduct UX/Design audit.
- Synthesize. Conduct stakeholder interviews, work sessions, make journey map and ideal user flows.
- Recommend. Give summary of assessment findings and recommendations.
Interviewing stakeholders revealed important information that showed the full picture of Episource’s situation.
We evaluated each Episource product to find usability violations based on NielsenNorman’s 10 Usability Heuristics for User Interface Design.
Exploring problem space
We mapped out the existing product space onto a visual map to understand how the Episource environment worked.
A map made to understand the client's product ecosystem.
Competitive analyses were done to see how Episource stacked up against its competitors.
We compared competitor product landing pages with our knowledge of Episource’s products to see if there were any missing selling points.
We asked ourselves key questions while exploring competitors' landing pages.
As part of our recommendations we storyboarded ideal workflows for each product. These ideal future-states were based on our observations made during the assessment phase.
Findings and recommendations
At the end of the project we presented our findings and recommended solutions to stakeholders.
Thanks to DIA’s efforts, Episource received:
- An in-depth assessment of their platform’s usability.
- Strategic recommendations on fixing UX issues.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the product ecosystem.
Assessing Episource’s products taught me the process for conducting a thorough UX audit.
In the future I hope to contribute to Episource’s further growth as a health risk adjustment platform.